Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Getting Away from the Green by BJ Wright

8"x10" oil on canvas board, painted en plein air, alla prima, on May 13th around 10am. Contact me to purchase for $65.

Painting in Northwest Georgia in the Spring and Summer presents particular challanges when dealing with greens. An artist friend describes the foliage here as being "North Georgia Green Green". It takes keen observation to find those hidden 'other' colors in the thick leafy trees.

This scene is actually a gravel road running along the Western edge of Chetoogeta Mountain in Tunnel Hill, GA. I just didn't use any green - of any kind, either mixed or tube color - when painting this quick study. Afterward I did another painting using a 'normal' palette of Spring colors. I'll post it soon.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Lori McNamara said...

Looks great BJ! Perspective is right on and I like the colors. That is one way to avoid green, just don't use it!