Friday, July 3, 2009

From the deck in 15 minutes # 92


I used a thin cadmium red toned background (too light). Over the last month I've been reducing my palette. Currently it consists of yellow-pale, cadmium yellow-deep, orange and red, permanent green light, cerulean blue, dioxane purple and of course titanium soft white. I use a wide range of cadmium's, because it's easier. The only color I would add back is French Ultramarine. I also use a toned disposable palette by Stephen Quiller. My brush work is deliberately more impasto and towards palette knife. While these might be sell-able, my only objective , is to study colour relationships to each other and light.

2 comments:

bj said...

...and having lots of fun painting these gems. I'm loving the new series, too.

Don't you feel energized when you use a different palette? Adding or deleting just one color can make the artistic brain sparkle.

chuck larivey said...

you bet! I had a senior moment this morning....got up predawn all set to do a sunrise from the deck...little early, so coffee and went on line, got so involved, totally forgot!!!.......

It's like spring cleaning....only better.....in design we call it de-cluttering :=))))