Thursday, June 14, 2007

Memories in the Weeds


Cathy Cooksey

This is the type of work I normally do. I am a self-taught artist and I have not been able to find an instructor to help me improve on what I already know. They want me to start all over again. I do this for an income and I certainly don't want to mess up what I already can do.

I think Plein Aire may be a way for me to learn more without doing damage to my own technique.

I had my first try at it a few days ago . See the post dated June 12th. It was fun.

I will try to post it tommorrow.

4 comments:

Lori McNamara said...

You can't improve on perfection, you don't need instruction, you are doing just fine. This painting is wonderful, absolutely perfect! Fine values, composition, colors, draftsmanship. It has a nice feeling and mood too.

Lori

Fawn McNeill Barr said...

I agree with Lori. I thought this was a photograph!

cathy cooksey said...

That's the problem , a lot of people don't want it to look like a photograph , they want it to look like a painting, so I would like to learn , both ways.

Lori McNamara said...

There do seem to be two types of people, my husband likes things to look like photos. He complains if my palm trees get "blobby." I like things loose. But I like doing both too. After doing two tight, detailed commissions I am ready to cut loose.

Big brushes, and/or big knives, little to middle size canvas or panel. Time limit. No way is it going to look like a photo.