Monday, June 25, 2007

Creekside Red by BJ Wright - SOLD

10" x 8" oil on stretched canvas - painted en plein air, alla prima - $90 including shipping - this painting has SOLD - thank you, Leisa !

This little creek is in Harry Griffin Park in Tunnel Hill, GA. Painting that day was a chore because of the heat and fatigue - we had been painting for several hours. I've been trying to practice "paint what you see, not what you think you see". The water flow in the little creek is low due to the drought, so the dark vegetation shows through the crystal clear water, almost making the water disappear. As I was finishing the last strokes, I noticed a red object in the lower right. I painted it, too, not thinking what it might be. Then I began noticing red in the shadows to the left. I painted it also. Walking into the water, I found the red object on the right (a Coke can) and realized that the can's color had drawn my eye to the otherwise unrelated reds in the shadows. Painting shapes and colors helps me realize the characteristics of the objects they become.
Contact me at beejw@charter.net

6 comments:

wanda knight said...

BJ, enjoyed reading your blog about this painting.
Thoses little spots of red really add zing. Looks like you had fun.
wanda

bj said...

Yes, we did have fun. Cathy, Sandra and I spent the greater part of the day sweating and swatting bugs - but it was wonderful fun. And we came home with paintings and great memories. Thanks for stopping by. :o) bj

Chris Ousley said...

Good work. Way to brave the heat. Around the first of June I am ready for fall. I don't like the heat! And them damned skeeters!

bj said...

Occasionally while we were painting I'd hear a sound "P-s-s-s-t", look around and Sandra would have the bug spray in her hand. At least none of them flew into the wet paint - like happened to Lori recently.

wanda knight said...

BJ, Just checking in to see if you have another painting posted.
wanda

Lori McNamara said...

Nice one BJ good you got out there even with the bugs and heat!